Safe and Orderly Environment
Students at Berrien Springs Middle School are held to high standards of behavior.
- Progressive discipline approach in Student Handbook.
- Peer Mediation process available to students.
- MiBLSi Positive Behavior Support Initiative.
- Security procedures and building monitored with cameras.
- Caring staff and Advisory Program to build relationships with students.
Curriculum Aligned to State Standards
Intentional preparation and planning lead to aligned curriculum providing for maximum opportunity to learn.
- Syllabi for each class describing course, teacher and grade level expectations.
- Teacher driven professional development to insure teaching of Michigan standards and Grade Level Content Expectations (G.L.C.E.).
- M.E.A.P test data analysis to determine areas for improvement.
- Measures of Academic Progress (M.A.P.) testing to determine student growth from year to year.
Fine Arts Programs
Middle School Choir
Middle School Band
One of the areas best middle school drama programs.
- High quality middle school play and drama program.
- Opportunity for students to participate in the drama program at many levels.
- Middle School Television program operated and directed by students.
- Sixth, seventh, and eighth grade band
- Quality art instruction.
Involved and active Student Senate with a voice in school operations and initiatives.
- Student Senate sponsored social events.
- Eighth grade year end trip to Great America.
- Student and Staff basketball game.
- Honor Roll end of the year celebration.
- Awards program to recognize student achievements.
Quality athletics programming offered as an extension of the classroom learning environment.
- Many sports for students to participate in during the year.
- High academic expectations for student athletes.
- Quality coaching and learning experiences.
Communication with Parents
Multiple ways and opportunities for parents to communicate with the school and staff.
- Teacher lesson plans online for parents to view assignments.
- Online grade access to help parents keep up on student progress and attendance.
- Teacher email addresses for parents to communicate from home.
- Middle school web page with valuable links and communication.
- Parent Advisory Meetings monthly open to all parents.
- Parent teacher conferences and progress reporting.