Mars - Academics
- All students have the right to a safe school environment.
- We have a positive behavior plan that focuses on treating others with respect and kindness while being responsible for our own actions.
- We are a Bucket Filling school http://bucketfillers101.com
- Our discipline program is founded on the belief that children can learn to be in charge of their behavior at a young age (Inappropriate behavior is a result of making poor choices).
- Students participate in saying a daily pledge focusing on responsibility and pillars of character.
- Our school's social work program assists students in learning how to make appropriate decisions.
- Teachers are aware that students, particularly at this young age level, learn at different paces and in different ways.
- Instruction is matched to the particular stage of development for each child.
- Special programs and classrooms are in place for learners who are delayed or need extra assistance.
- Reading readiness programs offer phonemic awareness activities that provide the base for future student success.
- Reading is taught in a workshop model that includes a combination of whole group, small group, and individual instruction based on student needs.
- Phonics/decoding skills, fluency, vocabulary building, and comprehension strategies are all emphasized.
- A language immersion program called GrapeSEED is used in our preschool, kindergarten, and English as a second language classrooms.
- The Mars writing approach emphasizes the stages through which young writers progress from formulating letters, to words, sentences and paragraphs.
- As students become more fluent, they intentionally improve their skills in the mechanics of spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- The "Bridges to Mathematics" program provides hands-on activities in a combination of traditional and applied math.
- Students develop skills in: data collection/analysis, critical thinking, logic, geometry, integrated calendar activities as well as basic math facts and number sentences.
- Science instruction provides active, hands-on exploration to help students understand the world around them.
- Literature based lessons help students understand their role in family, community, and their surrounding environment.
- Technology is integrated throughout every student's day.
- iPads/laptops, document cameras, interactive white boards, and various types of listening centers are used on a daily basis.
- Extension/enrichment activities are available to all students through a virtual portal.
- A full of range of fine arts/health programs are provided on a daily basis.
- Physical education, visual arts, music, and library skills add to our academic offerings intended to develop a well-educated student.