Speech and Language Impaired Preschool Program
The Speech and Language Impaired program is designed to help young children with moderate-to-severe language delays. We focus on the “Whole Child” approach. The Brigance assessment is used to determine which areas of development, social-emotional, motor, academic and adaptive skills are lagging behind so we can address it and strengthen it. The SLI classroom is a county based program addressing the needs of children 3-to-6- years of age with language delays for who traditional pull-out or walking services were not effective. We have two sessions, an AM group and a PM group. The AM Group is composed of "younger" children who are starting their school experience. Typically, this group is composed of 3-year-olds. The PM group is composed of children who were in the AM class or are 4-to-5 years of age. The PM curriculum continues to address social-emotional skills, school routines, independence and physical dexterity to work on age appropriate academic skills.
Our Preschool Program Features
- Daily direct speech therapy as well as contextualized language intervention
- Themed units that encourage your child's curiosity, increase confidence, and support self-directed activities
- Hands-on experiences designed to boost problem solving and scientific thinking skills
- Daily small- and whole-group activities
- Observation-based and standardized assessments that track your child's progress toward developmental milestones and school readiness
- Progress Reports that document growth and development in the area of speech
- Regular teacher-family communication, including ways you can continue to implement the learned skills from the classroom in your own home.