Safe and Orderly Environment
Students at Berrien Springs Middle School are held to high standards of behavior.
- Progressive discipline approach in Student Handbook.
- Peer Mediation process available to students.
- MiBLSi Positive Behavior Support Initiative.
- Security procedures and building monitored with cameras.
- Caring staff and Advisory Program to build relationships with students.
Curriculum Aligned to State Standards
Intentional preparation and planning lead to aligned curriculum providing for maximum opportunity to learn.
- Syllabi for each class describing course, teacher and grade level expectations.
- Teacher driven professional development to insure teaching of Michigan Standards and Grade Level Content Expectations.
- M-STEP test data analysis to determine areas for improvement.
- Measures of Academic Progress (M.A.P.) testing to determine student growth from year to year.
Fine Arts Programs
- Middle School Choir
- Middle School Band
One of the areas best middle school drama programs.
- High quality middle school play and drama program.
- Opportunity for students to participate in the drama program at many levels.
- Sixth, seventh, and eighth grade band
- Quality art instruction.
Involved and active Student Senate with a voice in school operations and initiatives.
- Student Senate sponsored social events.
- Eighth grade year end trip to Great America.
- Student and Staff basketball game.
- Honor Roll end of the year celebration.
- Awards program to recognize student achievements.
Quality athletics programming offered as an extension of the classroom learning environment.
- Many sports for students to participate in during the year.
- High academic expectations for student athletes.
- Quality coaching and learning experiences.
Communication with Parents
Multiple ways and opportunities for parents to communicate with the school and staff.
- Teacher lesson plans online for parents to view assignments.
- Online grade access to help parents keep up on student progress and attendance.
- Teacher email addresses for parents to communicate from home.
- Middle school web page with valuable links and communication.
- Parent Advisory Meetings monthly open to all parents.
- Parent teacher conferences and progress reporting.