KVCC: Kalamazoo Valley Community College

Read about the overall Dual Enrollment process, requirements and limitations.

Texas Township location

Classes begin TBA
Open to students in grades 9-12

KVCC Website

The application and registration process is easy:

Start Here: 

  1. Meet with an advisor: 
    Deborah Coates:  dcoates@kvcc.edu
  2. Take the college's placement test (Accuplacer) which determines the student's overall reading and math proficiency.  In order to take the Accuplacer test, you MUST have a student ID, state picture ID, driver's license or a parent must bring a picture of the student with the student to be notarized on-site at the college.  If you already have ACT or SAT scores, those may be submitted for consideration in place of taking the Accuplacer test.  
  3. Once the advisor has your scores and approves your choices, you can register and choose your classes all on the same form.        
  4. Fill out all sections except those reserved for High School use, including the names and section numbers of all classes and parent and student signatures. 
  5. Sue will send the form to Sharon by scan or fax for signature.  We will send it back to KVCC for processing and let you know when registration is complete. 

Due to state reimbursement rules for college classes:

  • If 1 dual enrollment class is taken, the student can and must take at least 1 regular partnership class, but can take up to 3 regular classes (including online).
  • If 2 dual enrollment classes are taken, the student must take 1 regular partnership class, and cannot take more. 

Dual enrollment students can take any class except for religion, craft/hobby, phys ed or remedial. Dual enrollment courses can be core subjects as long as they are taken for college credit only, non-core subjects can be taken for both high school and college credit.  ​ 

Note: Our payment to the college may cover all expenses, including books, for a 3 credit/3 contact hour class. High contact hour/billing hour classes may cost more than our allowance per class.  Any amount or books over the allowance is the responsibility of the family. The exact amount may not be known until after the class has begun.  Classes such as high level math, science, art, photography, etc. tend to have labs and high contact hours (5 or 6), depending on the school.  

To get the college classes you need, you may register before partnership registration opens. One other Partnership class is required (community or virtual) in order to take any dual enrollment class. If one dual enrollment class is taken, the student must take one but may take up to 3 community or virtual classes.  If the student is taking 2 dual enrollment classes, the student must take one and can only take that one community or virtual class.

KVCC has a voucher system: Voucher Instructions    

The student MUST ATTEMPT to return all books to the bookstore during the buy-back period. All rentals must be returned promptly upon the end of the semester.  All books and supplies purchased must be presented for buy-back; if the bookstore accepts them, the funds must be returned by the student to BSPS unless the bookstore can issue a credit.  

If a student enrolls in a college class and withdraws from that class after the college's refund/transfer window, or receives a failing ending grade, he or she will not be eligible to take future dual enrollment classes through the Partnership. Parents have the option of reimbursing BSPS for all tuition and fees incurred in order to maintain their dual enrollment eligibility status.  If the student fails to reimburse the school, the student may not participate in the partnership in the future.