Project Based Learning Electives provided by the Berrien Springs Virtual Academy
Swim Lessons (group only) South Shore Health and Racquet Club Fall 2023
- Instructor: Meghan (Dawson) Kovalska (269) 429-2101 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Format: In Person
- Additional registration at location is required. Contact Meghan for class placement.
- Students must be registered for Session I and will automatically be registered and must take Session II as well.
Any questions families can contact Meghan by email email@example.com or by calling (269) 429-2101.
Classes will typically be 1hr with 45 min of instruction and 15 min of independent swim
Tuesday September 12th - January 9th 16 weeks *no class December 19th & December 26*
- Level 1 12pm - 12:45
- Level 2 12:45pm - 1:30pm
- Level 3 1:30pm - 2:15pm
- Level 4 2:15pm - 3pm
Thursday September 14 - January 11th 16 weeks *no class November 23rd*
- Level 1 9:30am - 10:15am
- Level 2 10:15 am - 11:00am
- Level 3 11:00am - 11:45am
- Level 4 11:45am - 12:30 pm
***Note: only group lessons or swim club ONE DAY per week is covered by the partnership. Families are responsible for all costs over $400.***
Group Lessons only: Any family or group of 4 or more can create their own group lesson time!
Each week students will be introduced to a new skill and/or continue working on previously introduced skills until proficiency is reached at a skill level.
Swimming Level Descriptions
- Level One: Water Exploration - The objective of Level One is to help students feel comfortable in the water and enjoy the water safely. Students will learn elementary water skills which they will build on as they progress through the various levels.
- Level Two: Primary Skills - Is designed to give students success with fundamental skills of front crawl and backstroke and to learn to float without support and to learn basic self-help rescue skills.
- Level Three: Stroke Readiness - Students learn to coordinate front and back crawl. Introduce elementary backstroke and the fundamentals of treading water.
- Level Four: Stroke Development - Students develop confidence in strokes learned thus far and to improve other aquatic skills. Introduce breaststroke, sidestroke, and wall turns.
*Please note: it is important to make as informed a decision as possible when choosing your student's Community Resource classes. Most locations will allow a student to drop a class after one meeting, at no charge if it wasn't a good fit for the student, but not all. Some classes plan ahead based on the number that have signed up and have purchased materials, hired teachers, etc. and there might be a fee for class time or materials given to the student if the student drops after one or two meetings. The school cannot pay for classes that students do not complete, so choose wisely; if you do not take the class off of your student's schedule by the deadline, you may be asked to pay for the class time incurred prior to dropping the class.
Teacher of Record: Sara Smothers